- I drove a $224,000 Mercedes-Maybach S650, a tremendous-luxurious sedan that was crammed with substantial-ended features.
- The bling is remarkable and impressively expensive, but the Maybach is however a stretched S-Class.
- A stretched S-Course with a 621-horsepower V12 motor, having said that.
- The Maybach is fairly foolish, but there’s no query is provides an ultra-top quality passenger experience.
- Take a look at Business enterprise Insider’s homepage for a lot more stories.
The Mercedes-Maybach S650 is, together with the Bentley Bentayga, a single of the two most exasperating cars I have ever driven. The Bentayga is a massively overpriced Audi with a Bentley front close and motor, whilst the Maybach S650 is a massively overpriced S-Course Mercedes with a hulking V12 motor and a wonderful interior.
On harmony, the Bentley remains the most cynical try to extract funds from the well-heeled and manufacturer-conscious customers I’ve ever expert, though the Maybach is a tad far more virtuous because it is just silly. The Bentagya stuffed me with rage, whilst the Maybach just produced me grin and shake my head at the chutzpah.
The Maybach procedure adds about $25,000 to the S-Class’s cost tag, and what you get for the expense of a utilized A220 is gobs and gobs of luxe. I professional this firsthand when Mercedes loaned me a 2020 Maybach S650, which stickered at $224,125, up from a foundation of $202,550.
How did we get here? Properly, Maybach was a standalone nameplate from the early 2000s till 2013, when a lack of affluent client desire led Mercedes mum or dad Daimler to pull the plug. Maybach returned a couple of many years ago, this time as a designation, akin to Mercedes-AMG, the carmaker’s higher-effectiveness sub-marque.
Even with the V12, I didn’t come across the Maybach S650 any far more attention-grabbing to drive than other Mercedes, with which I’ve been commonly impressed. So I could transfer on to wallowing in the throwback appointments that try to set the Maybach in a league with Bentley’s saloons and Rolls-Royce’s highway-going yachts.
Here is a rundown of all the bling: